Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Learning Between The Lines

Public schooling (or common school) as it is referred to in the "Report of the Massachusetts Board of Education," in short, alludes to the institution of public education as somewhat of a means of leveling the proverbial playing field. As times have progressed, public educations has remained rooted in the same homogenous fashion as it has since the start. However, education does not stop in the classroom. Nor dies it stop when the lesson is not being strictly adhered to. In this right, it is not unreasonable at all to say that schooling teaches more than just the prescribed curriculum.
The question: is it valuable?
At first glimpse, there is no truly defined answer to this question even when it is asking how I regard it. Maybe I should clarify: this topic does not pertain only to public education in this instance. There are some things about my "education" that I value. For example, the fact that practically everyone experiences something similar to this at some point in their life makes it beneficial and valued, as it allows me to better relate to my fellow man and approach all topics with potentially varying backgrounds in mind. However, I also feel that because practically everyone experiences something similar to this that it is almost a venture into fascist conforming. However, there is evidence to support that because everyone goes through something similar, that this is merely part of the human condition, and the fact that there is an austere sense of conforming that it is merely because that is the way things are (the human condition).
The short of it, I would have to say that I do in fact value the "education" that I am receiving in my time in high school, as it is something similar to that of which practically everyone experiences, and in this right is exactly where I should be as a human.

Note: "Education" refers to the non-academic facets of school life.

No comments: