Thursday, September 20, 2007

SAT on crack

Yes, that is what the AP exam is seeming like to me. There are a few things that scare me the most about the AP exam. First and most ominous, the amount of reading seems quite heavy in the sense that they are asking people to read a fairly lengthy, prodigious passage, and make in-depth observations and judgments based upon what you read, all within a highly regulated constraint of time. While several hours may seem like a while now, I'm sure that it will seem like no time at all when one is racing against the clock to find parallels between a feminist perspective on the role of women in 1970's society and the human condition that has always existed. Secondly, I am afraid that the observations, or what I choose to take out of a certain passage, will not be what the intention was, and therefore I would be heavily penalized for "missing the point." Subjective matter of any style makes my skin crawl just the slightest bit, mainly due to the fact that another person (especially when grading) can completely rip your thoughts apart just because they have a red pen and different ideas.

No comments: