Friday, November 7, 2008

The Awakening Ch. 20-24

Societal expectations are deep rooted in this part of the century.  Everyone is expected to conform to their place (of which everyone is supposed to know), and any deviation from the standard is unthinkable.  However, as I previously mentioned, Edna does not have any intention to conform to the societal norm.  The problem becomes for Edna's friends and family that they are in complete denial (or are merely oblivious) to Edna's intentions in life.  The fact of the matter is is that the expectations are so severely traditionalized and rooted that they don't suspect anything even though Edna is showing definite signs of attraction to Robert, as evinced by her indignation that he had not written to her, yet had written to practically everyone else.  The doctor's recommendation to Mr. Pontellier that he effectively wait and see what happens is proof of the obliviousness of the society and reluctance to bear witness to any sort of change.  I also find it somewhat humorous that the doctor asked if Edna had been associating with psuedo-intellectual women, as they were so reluctant to change that they felt that women who had experienced an awakening only had the facade of intellect.

1 comment:

MDooley729 said...

in your blog you mention that Edna associate mostly with psuedo intelligent women. I totally agree! Why the heck is Edna BFF with Madam Ratignolle? I think I know and this is why i DON'T like Edna. I think Edna enjoys being hoity-toity high society. I think she loves being considered beautiful and i think she loves that her best friend is the epitomy of what a woman should be. I think Edna is kind of self-centered thinking only about herself. Madam Reisz is the only character in the book I actually like.